Greenpeace Says iCloud Is The Dirtiest Thing On The Internet

Environmental activist group Greenpeace has just released a report condemning Apple for using ‘asthma-inducing climate-destroying coal’ which they say makes iCloud ‘the dirtiest thing on the Internet’. Where are these accusations coming from? Actually there is some truth to back up Greenpeace argument. To power iCloud Apple built a data supercenter in Maiden, North Carolina. Apple has been increasingly interested recently in powering their manufacturing plants with forms of solar energy. The cupertino-based company has even been reportedly working on a 20 megawatt solar farm and a 5 megawatt fuel cell facility at it’s Maiden, NC data supercenter.

The only problem according to Greenpeace is that green energy only covers about 10 percent of the data supercenter’s power needs. The remaining 90 percent comes from the local power grid which is one of the dirtiest in the country and is mostly powered by coal.

To deliver iCloud services, Apple has dramatically expanded its data center infrastructure. It has invested at least $1bn in an “iDataCenter” in North Carolina, one of the world’s largest data centers, and just announced another facility to be built in Prineville, Oregon. Unfortunately, both of these investments are powered by utilities that rely mostly on coal power. Given the lack of transparency, siting policy or a clear commitment to power the iCloud with renewable energy, Apple is finding itself behind other companies such as Facebook and Google who are angling to control a bigger piece of the cloud.

Greenpeace has also been just as critical of Microsoft and Amazon about their production plants. However Google and Facebook have been commended by GreenPeace for prioritizing green energy over filthy coal produced energy.

You can read Greenpeace’s full report here.

Share this Story

Related Posts


  1. GVK BIO Recent Updates

    January 19, 2018 at 7:12 am

    465696 134764Its exceptional as your other articles : D, regards for posting . 471519


  2. informática

    January 29, 2018 at 4:26 pm

    817136 904355very great publish, i really really like this internet internet site, carry on it 367062


  3. appliance repair Richmond Hill

    February 1, 2018 at 10:35 am

    124403 888750Hi, you used to write exceptional posts, but the last several posts have been kinda boring I miss your wonderful posts. Past few posts are just slightly bit out of track! 869116


  4. event management companies in Hyderabad

    February 12, 2018 at 3:21 am

    328993 71120Must tow line this caravan together with van trailer home your entire family quick get exposed to the issues along with reversing create tight placement. awnings 820609


  5. cmovieshd

    February 27, 2018 at 12:09 am

    629916 494170This internet website is my intake , real excellent layout and perfect subject material . 334703


  6. servicos informatica

    March 7, 2018 at 8:41 am

    327490 240359Just wanna comment that you have a extremely good internet site , I love the design it really stands out. 1303


  7. 网站1

    March 16, 2018 at 5:06 pm

    183848 842596Music began playing any time I opened this web site, so frustrating! 87580


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join Our Mailing List

Email Format

Free iTunes Gift Cards!

Find us on Google Plus