Alright peeps… This one is for the die hard old school gamers out there.
The guys over at ThinkGeek are bringing the magic of the iCade to your pocket with the iCade 8-Bitty Retro Wireless Game Controller . This wireless game controller sports a classic D-Pad and button layout reminiscent of retro 8-bit game consoles from the 80’s and 90’s. The 8-Bitty works with your iPad and iPhone to play apps using a game controller with real tactile input. 8-Bitty supports iCADE’s growing list of hundreds of retro game apps, including Atari Classics collection, Pac-Man, Super Mega Worm, etc. The 8-Bitty uses a completely open interface system, so that any app developer can easily add game support.
“We’re excited to extend on the success of the original iCADE,” said Ty Liotta, head of ThinkGeek’s GeekLabs. “And with millions of iOS and Android devices in circulation it only makes sense to widen the field and bring the fun of iCADE to every possible device.”
Here Are Some Of The Product Features
- Classic retro-styled game controller fits in your pocket and works with iPhone & iPad
- 8 button control including 4 face buttons, select, start, and two shoulder buttons… plus the D-Pad for movement
- Wireless connection with auto power save mode
- Mini version of larger size iCade cabinet invented and designed by ThinkGeek
- Fully compatible with all iCade games
- Completely open development platform. App developers can add support for iCade with no permission needed from Apple or ThinkGeek. (See links for code examples below).
- “Atari Greatest Hits” iPad App ready to go with the iCADE, including support for over 100 classic Atari games.
- Compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.
- NOTE: Atari Greatest Hits only runs on iPad, not on iPhone or iPod touch.
- Requires 2 x AAA batteries (not included)
The 8-Bitty will be available sometime later this year and will retail for $24.99. We will keep you posted on the actual release date as soon as it becomes available.