Back in June, Apple announced a new feature for Siri called “Eyes Free.” This would allow car manufacturers to implement a direct connection with Siri through a vehicle allowing users to keep their eyes on the road while using Siri to control various features within the car. This new feature will be available in early 2013.
Gm has confirmed that Siri “Eyes Free” mode will be coming as part of the MyLink system on various Spark and Sonic models in early 2013.
In the Spark and Sonic RS, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
- Access Calendar and add appointments
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
- While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.
If you’d like to use this awesome new feature for Siri, go buy a new car next year. 😉
Here’s a video on Siri Eyes Free mode: