The Dev-Team figured out a jailbreak for iOS 5.1. This only applies to non-A5 devices. So if you have an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S, continue waiting as the security measure set in place on those devices are much more complicated than that of an A4. If you have a pre-A5 device and would like to jailbreak you can do so by clicking on this link. There you will find the files necessary to jailbreak your A4 on iOS 5.1.
A couple things to keep in mind as listed on the Dev-Team Blog are,
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak both MB and MC versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w
So basically, if you can handle the restrictions of a tethered jailbreak then your good to go!
Are you going to update just so you can jailbreak again?