With yesterday’s release of Absinthe 2.0, we decided to put together a couple tutorials on how to jailbreak your devices. This one covers the process of jailbreaking an iPhone 4S / 4. While all these methods are identical, sometimes it’s nice to see the device you own going through the jailbreak process…
Check out the video!
The first thing you should always do is backup your device! I can’t stress this enough. It’s not to scare you or anything, but make sure you have a backup because this process can involve resetting your device.
Resetting the device as “new” will make this process as simple as possible. I highly recommend it, in fact it may not work otherwise. Afterwards you can restore your backup.
Here are some written steps to help you:
- Plug in the device to a computer with iTunes.
- Backup the device and make sure you’ve updated to iOS 5.1.1
- Restore the device as a “new iPhone” (Optional but recommended)
- Close iTunes and launch Absinthe 2.0.1 (links below)
- Click “Jailbreak”
- Let the jailbreak tool do its magic and go make a sandwich or something 😉
- When the process is finished, you should see “done, enjoy!”
- From here you can restore the backup you’ve created.
Congrats! Enjoy your liberated iPhone 4S / 4!
And there you have it! Once the process is completed you should see Cydia happily sitting on your home screen!
Here are the links to download Absinthe:
Absinthe v2.0.4 MacOSX (10.5, 10.6, 10.7)
Absinthe v2.0.4 Windows (XP/Vista/Win7)
Absinthe v2.0.4 Linux (x86/x86_64)